Sunday, July 02, 2006

Grand Tetons

(Karen) Thursday, we lounged around the campsite before hiking up to Inspiration Point overlooking Jenny Lake, it was a really fun day. At the very beginning of the hike, near the parking lot we saw a BEAR!!! A huge golden colored momma bear with a little brown cub following along behind her… it was AWESOME!! Elizabeth was excited because the cub looked at her. This is what Elizabeth has to say about the experience: “I thought that when the baby bear looked at me and beeda that it thought I was a bear, but I’m not really. The baby bear was so cute and the momma bear was cute and the baby bear was super-cute.” (We decided to try to write down some of the things that Elizabeth has to say about her experiences because they are so funny and profound).


It rained during our hike, but it was so fun and beautiful and Elizabeth was well prepared with her purple Dora poncho (we were less well prepared). Elizabeth has this to say about mountains: “God created the world and made the mountains big. God created mountains so that people could climb them because they think they are pretty to climb. I like climbing mountains because I get to be in the backpack and I get to walk and I like mountains because I think they are pretty, and that’s it.” We took a shuttle boat back and then for dinner went to the Grand Teton Lodge. We had a wonderful meal overlooking the mountains. After that we spent a couple of hours driving around the park. It was so fun looking for animals, we saw a momma moose and her baby and a huge bull moose up close. We saw what we think was a grey fox, it was so pretty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness - you saw a bear that close! that's crazy! i love your photos and stories!

love you guys!
veronica

Anonymous said...

OK, bob sent this link along today and now I am jealous. I went camping/hiking in Glacier a few years back and saw no bears, even from a distance. Look how close you were! And moose (meese? Mooses? Moosii?) too!